If it’s your first time having laser tattoo removal in Jacksonville, North Carolina, it’s normal to feel nervous. But you have nothing to worry about. The procedure itself is minimally invasive and done right here in the Carolinas Center for Plastic Surgery office. To help give you an idea of what to expect, Dr. Klainer shares some tips for tattoo removal prep and recovery.
Preparing for Tattoo Removal Before starting the laser tattoo removal process, it’s important you feel confident in your decision. The procedure is permanent and can’t be undone. However, if you feel the tattoo no longer represents you as a person, you no longer like it, or it affects your ability to wear certain clothing, laser tattoo removal is a great option for you. During the consultation, Dr. Klainer will explain the procedure and go over your medical history. He’ll also provide any specific instructions he’d like you to follow leading up to your first treatment. Here are some general tips to help you prepare:
- If applicable, don’t wear clothing that covers the tattoo (such as long sleeves). If your tattoo is located on your back, thigh, or in another area where clothing is necessary, wear something loose fitting.
- Make sure the site is clean. Wash it before you arrive for treatment. Do not apply any fragrances, makeup, or lotion to the tattoo or the surrounding area.
- Arrange for someone to come with you who can drive you home after the treatment.
Recovering From Tattoo Removal
You can expect a time commitment of four to eight treatments, depending on the size of the tattoo, the color of the ink, and your skin type. There are typically ten weeks between each scheduled treatment. On average, PicoSure® Aesthetic Laser Treatment takes about ten minutes per session but may take longer. Afterward, the site will be wrapped. Most people are able to return to regular activities immediately after. Before you leave, we’ll go over instructions for cleaning and caring for the site. Instructions may include:
- Take Tylenol or Ibuprofen as directed for pain relief.
- Do not immerse the site in water for the first several weeks after treatment.
- Avoid direct, prolonged sun exposure.
- Wear SPF 50+ to protect your skin, because it will be more sensitive after laser tattoo removal.
Contact Us Today If you have any specific questions or concerns regarding laser tattoo removal, feel free to contact Carolinas Center for Plastic Surgery. To set up your first appointment and say goodbye to your unwanted tattoo, you can schedule a consultation at our office in either Jacksonville, NC, or Morehead City.